August 7, 2010
NPR Link Love - Nancy Pearl & Killer Thrillers
Nancy Pearl and you blog post book reviews you really need to check her out. A long-time librarian, Nancy can be found doling out her book recommendations on NPR, in podcasts and in her own publications, as well as her website. She's wonderful to listen to and archives of her podcasts on various radio stations can be found at the iTunes store...best of all they are free!!
What I really wanted to mention though was Nancy's most recent article at the NPR website on "Under the Radar Reads". There are some books on the list that are on my to acquire list, Under Heaven and Blood Harvest and from Nancy's recommendation I'm adding The Lotus Eater's to my list.
Another article on the NPR website caught my eye, "Top 100 Killer Thrillers". Here are the Top 20.
1. The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris
2. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
3. Kiss the Girls, by James Patterson
4. The Bourne Identity, by Robert Ludlum
5. In Cold Blood, by Truman Capote
6. The Da Vinci Code, by Dan Brown
7. The Shining, by Stephen King
8. And Then There Were None, by Agatha Christie
9. The Hunt for Red October, by Tom Clancy
10. The Hound of the Baskervilles, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
11. Dracula, by Bram Stoker
12. The Stand, by Stephen King
13. The Bone Collector, by Jeffery Deaver
14. Jurassic Park, by Michael Crichton
15. Angels & Demons, by Dan Brown
16. A Time to Kill, by John Grisham
17. The Andromeda Strain, by Michael Crichton
18. Mystic River, by Dennis Lehane
19. The Day of the Jackal, by Frederick Forsyth
20. Rebecca, by Daphne du Maurier
So I have read 1,2,3,6,11,13,14,15,16 and 17. Watched 1,2,3,4,6,9,10,11,13,14,15,16,17 and 18 in either movie or tv format. I also own 1,2,6,10,11,15 and 20 in book format.
So do you think Silence of the Lambs deserves to retain the number 1 spot or should it have been overtaken by The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo?
NPR is a great organization. Check them out sometime. Happy Reading!